Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Ser,Estar and Tener

When do you use ser,estar and tener.

Ser (to be)

- when you want to describe qualities like size,colour,material,character etc.

Este edificio es alto.
(This building is tall)

Mi camisa es de lana.
(My shirt is made of woolen)

Soy amable.
(I am friendly)

Nationalities, profession, description.

Soy de la India.
(I am from India)

Soy ingeniara.
(I am an engineer)

¿Qué hora es?.Son las tres.
What is the time?It is 3.

Estar(to be)

Position, geographic and physical location

Estoy en la oficina.
(I am in office)

Marina está en la playa.
(Marina is in the beach)

Himalaya está en la India.
(Himalaya is in India)

Non-permanent condition

Estoy de cocinera
(I am cooking)

El jersey me está pequeño
(The jersey is small)

¿A cuánto están las uvas?
(How much are the grapes?)

Tener (to have)

Possession, descriptions

Tengo una hija
(I have a daughter)

Esta chica tiene ojos azules
(This girl has blue eyes)

Tener + condition(fever,fear,hunger)

Tengo mucho hambre

Paco tiene miedo del perros (Paca has fear for dogs)

Tengo mucho sed

When you talk about age

¿Cuántos años tienes?
(What is your age?)

Tengo veintiseis años
(I am 26 years old)

No comments: